Domino's Pizza Tackles Super Bowl Sunday
ANN ARBOR, Mich., Jan. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- As New England and Philadelphia gear up for the biggest game in football, Domino's Pizza (NYSE: DPZ), the recognized world leader in pizza delivery, is also preparing for kick off and suiting up to feed hungry football fans. Strategy, hustle and a double order of ingredients and staff keep the Domino's Pizza team ahead of the game and poised to tackle the surge of orders expected on Super Bowl Sunday, historically one of the top days for pizza delivery.
Domino's anticipates selling more than 1.2 million pizzas nationwide on game day this year -- a 42 percent increase from a typical Sunday. This means that during game time, Domino's will deliver nearly 250,000 pizzas to homes every quarter.
"Super Bowl Sunday is all about football and friends, and a hot pizza brought right to their door is just what TV-bound fans want," said Holly Ryan, Domino's Pizza spokesperson. "Speed makes for a winning team on the field and in our stores, and our team is ready to deliver."
Domino's Pizza Super Bowl Sunday Stats
According to a survey of more than 1,500 U.S. adults commissioned by Domino's Pizza in December 2004:
* 68 percent of football fans make pizza their choice for a game-day meal.
* Pizzas topped with pepperoni are the No. 1 favorite among football fans and pizza lovers alike, with 63 percent of survey respondents, while 36 percent of respondents vote for sausage as their topping of choice.
* On game day, the most popular pizza topping match-up is considered to be pepperoni and sausage: 59 percent of game-watchers agree it's the best combination.
* During football games, respondents are more likely to order pizza before a game starts (65 percent) as opposed to halftime (27 percent) or between games (8 percent).
* 35 percent of respondents eat about three slices of pizza per game, while 2 percent say they eat a whole pizza.
* Women are more likely to eat 2-3 slices a game (80 percent, compared to 39 percent of men), while men eat at least four slices (58 percent say they eat four or more slices, compared to 15 percent of women).
* Of favorite foods to accompany pizza during a football game, 56 percent favor wings, followed by garlic or cheesy bread (46 percent), beverages (45 percent) and breadsticks (43 percent).
According to Domino's Pizza sales statistics:
* While both participating teams' cities begin the evening with high sales, by the end of the night, Domino's Pizza sees a higher sales increase in the city of the winning team versus the city of the losing team.
* Domino's Pizza sees higher sales when the game is close and competitive. With closer games, people are more likely to stay glued to the tube.
* If a NFC team wins over an AFC team, Domino's sees a higher sales increase in the cities of other major NFC teams, and vice versa.
* A number of Domino's franchisees put TVs and radios in stores during the game so they know when the phones are going to start ringing. Based on past games, the phones typically ring heavily leading up to kick-off, during commercials and between the first and second quarters.
* Domino's Pizza drivers will cover up to 4 million miles on Super Bowl Sunday -- in the United States alone.
* 1.2 million pizza boxes would cover every NFL stadium field -- goal line-to-goal line, sideline to sideline, and there would still be enough to cover three more fields.
About Domino's Pizza:
Founded in 1960, Domino's Pizza is the recognized world leader in pizza delivery. Domino's is listed on the NYSE under the symbol "DPZ." Through its primarily franchised system, Domino's operates a network of 7,603 franchised and Company-owned stores in the United States and more than 50 countries. The Domino's Pizza(R) brand, named a Megabrand by Advertising Age magazine, had global retail sales of nearly $4.2 billion in 2003. Domino's Pizza was named "Chain of the Year" by Pizza Today magazine, the leading publication of the pizza industry and is the "Official Pizza of NASCAR." More information on the Company, in English and Spanish, can be found on the web at http://www.dominos.com .
SOURCE Domino's Pizza
NOTE TO EDITORS: Media Invited to Witness the Rush: Media representatives
are invited to visit a local Domino's store and witness the rush for Domino's
Pizza, at about 5:00 p.m. EST, 2:00 p.m. PST, one hour before kick-off.
Please call Dana Harville at +1-734-930-3741 to coordinate.
CONTACT: Holly Ryan of Domino's Pizza, +1-734-930-3674,
Web site: http://www.dominos.com