Domino's Pizza(R) Survey Finds It's Pizza, Party Hats and Pigskin Passes
ANN ARBOR, Mich., Dec. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Whether it's New Year's Eve activities or a day of watching football bowl games, pizza plays a dominant part in the festivities. In an annual survey conducted by Domino's Pizza (NYSE: DPZ), the recognized world leader in pizza delivery, and Impulse Research, 62 percent of Americans say they plan to stay home this New Year's Eve.
With so many Americans staying home, Domino's stores across the country will double their staffs and order more dough, sauce and cheese to take on the surge of anticipated orders. Domino's expects to sell more than 1.5 million pizzas nationwide on New Year's Eve.
At 52 percent, pizza dominates other foods most likely to be enjoyed during the New Year's Eve festivities, including steak (26 percent), shrimp (20 percent) and caviar (one percent). Nearly 40 percent of respondents say they plan to order a pizza on either one of those two days.
"It makes sense that nearly two in five respondents said they expect to order a pizza either on New Year's Eve and or New Year's Day," said Tim McIntyre, Domino's Pizza spokesperson. "Pizza is the ultimate party food. Whether families are gathering to watch the ball drop or their favorite team play, pizza is the perfect food to serve."
When it comes to watching the football bowl games on TV, Domino's Pizza tackled the issue and uncovered some interesting answers from its survey, including:
- 70 percent of respondents will watch a bowl game on TV
- 68 percent of respondents order pizza while watching football games on TV
- 35 percent eat about three slices of pizza per game, while two percent say they eat a whole pizza
- Males average about four slices of pizza per game, while females average about three slices
- Of favorite foods to accompany pizza during a football game, 56 percent favor wings, followed by garlic or cheesy bread (46 percent), beverages (45 percent) and breadsticks (43 percent).
- During football games, respondents are more likely to order before a game starts (65 percent) as opposed to halftime (27 percent) or between games (8 percent)
About Domino's Pizza:
Founded in 1960, Domino's Pizza is the recognized world leader in pizza delivery. Domino's is listed on the NYSE under the symbol "DPZ." Through its primarily franchised system, Domino's operates a network of 7,603 franchised and Company-owned stores in the United States and more than 50 countries. The Domino's Pizza(R) brand, named a Megabrand by Advertising Age magazine, had global retail sales of nearly $4.2 billion in 2003. Domino's Pizza was named "2003 Chain of the Year" by Pizza Today magazine, the leading publication of the pizza industry. In 2003, Domino's became the "Official Pizza of NASCAR." More information on the Company, in English and Spanish, can be found on the web at http://www.dominos.com .