Domino's Pizza Tracker Poll: Independents Not Necessarily Undecided
Poll of 295,000 pizza-eating voters shows Obama over McCain by big margin
ANN ARBOR, Mich., Oct. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 295,000 Domino's Pizza (NYSE: DPZ) customers participated in the Pizza Tracker Poll launched Oct. 7 on www.dominos.com . And while more than 66,000 customers identified themselves as "independent" from either party, more than 20,000 of them have decided which of the two major party candidates they're voting for on Election Day.
As of Sunday, 18,470 independent voters will cast a ballot for Democrat Barack Obama, while only 1,623 independents will vote for Republican John McCain. In total, 151,416 pizza tracker poll participants are voting for Obama vs. 93,718 who plan to vote for McCain.
- Total participants, Oct. 7 - Oct. 26, 2008: 295,805
- Number identifying themselves as Democrats: 132,946
- Number identifying themselves as Republicans: 92,095
- Number identifying themselves Independent: 66,671
- Number who took the poll but didn't answer the party affiliation question: 4,093
- Number voting for Barack Obama: 151,416
- Number voting for John McCain: 93,718
- Number of independents voting for Obama: 18,470
- Number of independents voting for McCain: 1,623
- Number still undecided: 42,187
- More than 40,000 more Democrats than Republicans took part in poll.
- Swing states all leaning toward Obama, but inconclusive because more Democrats participated in poll vs. those identifying themselves as Republicans.
The initial goal of the Pizza Tracker poll: determine if customers who self-identify as Democrat, Republican or Undecided share more than just political affiliations: do they also share tendencies when it comes to ordering pizza? The answer has been a resounding yes. By comparing customers' orders with their answers to three poll questions, Domino's has found:
- Spend more per order than other consumers. --
- They rely on credit cards to pay more than other consumers. --
- They tend to order two large pizzas at a time, and they're usually specialty pizzas.
- They are more likely to order online, and more likely to pick up their orders.
- Rely on delivery more than Republicans.
- Pay cash more than other consumers.
- Like more variety with their orders, opting for side items, chicken and beverages more than Republicans.
Domino's Pizza Tracker poll appears on www.dominos.com as soon as online customers click the "submit order" button on their computer screen. Domino's Pizza last week also unveiled http://poll.dominos.com, a site that tracks voter choices by state in two categories: who consumers are going to vote for, and which of Domino's new line of oven baked sandwich is being ordered most that day. The maps are updated every 60 seconds. For 14 consecutive days, the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich has been ordered most often, and has been the leading "vote-getter" in 35 states.
Will the Domino's Pizza Tracker Poll prove to be accurate come Election Night? We'll find out Nov. 4. We suggest you settle in at home, order a pizza and a sandwich and watch history unfold.
About Domino's Pizza(R)
Founded in 1960, Domino's Pizza is the recognized world leader in pizza delivery. Domino's is listed on the NYSE under the symbol "DPZ." Through its primarily locally-owned and operated franchised system, Domino's operates a network of 8,671 franchised and Company-owned stores in the United States and 60 international markets. The Domino's Pizza(R) brand, named a Megabrand by Advertising Age magazine, had global retail sales of over $5.4 billion in 2007, comprised of $3.2 billion domestically and $2.2 billion internationally. During the second quarter of 2008, the Domino's Pizza(R) brand had global retail sales of $1.3 billion, comprised of approximately $717 million domestically and approximately $589 million internationally. Domino's Pizza was named "Chain of the Year" by Pizza Today magazine, the leading publication of the pizza industry. Customers can place orders online in English and Spanish by visiting www.dominos.com or from a Web-enabled cell phone by visiting mobile.dominos.com. More information on the Company, in English and Spanish, can be found on the Web at www.dominos.com. Domino's Pizza. You Got 30 Minutes(TM).
SOURCE Domino's Pizza 10/29/2008 /CONTACT: Tim McIntyre of Domino's Pizza, +1-734-930-3563 email@example.com /Web site: http://www.dominos.com http://poll.dominos.com (DPZ)